- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 stuffed tomatoes
- Print/save recipe
Campari tomatoes are larger than cherry tomatoes, but smaller and rounder than romas—which make them perfect for stuffing. Each juicy sphere is hollowed out with a melon baller and filled with a delicious Mediterranean-inspired medley of orzo pasta, green peas, bell pepper, and pine nuts. The Italian flair is taken a step further by topping each eye-catching appetizer with a dollop of homemade pesto fluff, which adds a scrumptiously creamy component. The secret to the pesto garnish is blending basil leaves with nutrient-dense cannellini beans, which creates a fluffy texture and gives these snacks extra hunger-busting capabilities. Get ready to wow the crowd at your next plant-based soirée with these vegan and oil-free stuffed tomatoes!
For more unique tomato recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- ½ cup dry whole wheat orzo
- ½ cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow or orange bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 Campari tomatoes
- In a small saucepan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Add orzo and stir well. Cook over medium-high 10 minutes, adding peas the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Transfer orzo and peas to a medium bowl. Add pine nuts, ½ cup of the basil, the onion, bell pepper, half of the garlic, and the vinegar; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper
- For pesto fluff, in a blender combine the remaining basil and garlic, the beans, and ½ cup water. Cover and blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a piping bag or resealable plastic bag (snip off a small corner of plastic bag when ready to use).
- Slice off the top of each tomato. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each tomato to create a flat base so tomatoes stand upright. Use a melon baller to scoop out and discard seeds. Fill tomatoes with orzo mixture and top with pesto fluff. Serve chilled or at room temperature.