- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 1½ cups
Sweet and tangy, chutney is the perfect complement to Indian curries, and we love this version made with tomato and tamarind. You can also use this tasty condiment in grain bowls, on sandwiches, and anywhere else you want a burst of bright flavor.
Tip: Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 large tomato, cored and cut into large pieces
- ¼ of a small onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped (see tip in intro)
- 1 date (any variety), pitted
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a blender combine the first six ingredients (through garlic). Cover and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large skillet; add ½ cup water. Cover and cook over medium-low about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and turns red.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet toast mustard seeds over medium 3 to 4 minutes or until seeds start to pop. Add cumin seeds and toast 1 minute more or until cumin seeds turn brown.
- Add toasted seeds to tomato sauce. Stir in lime juice and, if desired, cayenne pepper. Season with salt. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool. Serve room temperature or chilled. To store, transfer chutney to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.