- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes ten ⅓-cup servings
- Print/save recipe
This eggless chocolate flan recipe is a surefire winner for your next fiesta. Sweet potato puree takes the place of sweetened condensed milk to create a luscious creamy texture that melts in your mouth with every spoonful. Agar powder (a vegan setting agent derived from seaweed) ensures you still get the traditional jiggly texture while cocoa powder infuses everything with chocolatey goodness. The key to a perfect flan is to let it chill long enough so it holds its shape when you remove it from the mold, so make sure it’s fully set before flipping it over. Top each adorable flan with a drizzle of date syrup (or maple syrup) and fresh berries to wrap up your evening with a scrumptious sweet treat.
For more vegan Mexican-inspired favorites, check out these tasty ideas:
- 1 15-oz. can sweet potato puree
- ½ cup date syrup or pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter or any other nut butter
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Chopped strawberries, for garnish
- In a blender combine the first six ingredients (through agar powder) and 1½ cups water. Cover and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until agar is fully dissolved, stirring frequently to keep mixture from scorching.
- In a small bowl whisk together arrowroot powder and 1 tablespoon water. While stirring, add mixture to saucepan. Cook 4 to 5 minutes more or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes to cool, stirring occasionally for even cooling and thickening.
- Place a silicone cupcake tray or 10 individual molds on a tray. Pour ⅓ cup of the mixture into each mold. Transfer the tray to the refrigerator. Chill 1 hour or until set.
- To serve, flip the molds and press flans out onto individual dessert plates. Drizzle with additional date syrup and garnish with strawberries.