- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 skewers + 5 cups quinoa mixture
- print/save recipe
These colorful squash skewers are paired with quinoa and edamame for a robust and delicious summer dinner. Slices of zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions are glazed with a savory soy-miso marinade and then grilled to tender perfection. The excess glaze is soaked up by the bed of grains underneath so your entire plate is infused with the finger-licking-good sauce. Serve as the main course or as an easy appetizer alongside veggie burgers, mac and cheese, or a hearty summer salad.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups dry red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 3 medium (8 to 10 oz. each) yellow summer squash and/or zucchini, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium red and/or orange bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 oz. fresh button or cremini mushrooms, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling. Add quinoa; cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed, adding edamame the last 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on eight 10-inch skewers, thread squash, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onion, pressing pieces together snugly.
- For glaze, in a small bowl whisk together the next eight ingredients (through crushed red pepper).
- Brush skewers with some of the glaze. Grill, covered, over medium 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and lightly browned, turning and brushing with some of the remaining glaze once. Serve over quinoa. Drizzle with the remaining glaze. Sprinkle with cilantro.