- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 spring rolls
These Vietnamese-style summer rolls are bundles of flavor. Stuffed with fresh veggies and vermicelli noodles, they’re hearty enough to enjoy as a meal, but they also make for a fun, refreshing appetizer. Cover assembled spring rolls with a damp paper towel to keep them from drying out. Look for brown rice paper wrappers to wrap these colorfully filled rolls. Purchase them online if you can’t find them in the supermarket.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Dash crushed red pepper
- 2 oz. dried brown rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 8-inch brown rice paper wrappers
- 12 to 24 sprigs fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, dill, and/or chives)
- 12 6-inch very thin asparagus spears
- ¾ cup shredded peeled fresh beets
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips (¾ cup)
- 1 kohlrabi (head only), peeled, cored, and cut into matchsticks (¾ cup)
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into 12 slices
- For dipping sauce, in a small bowl combine the first five ingredients (through crushed red pepper) and 2 Tbsp. water.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Use kitchen scissors to snip noodles into small pieces.
- Pour warm water into a pie plate. Carefully dip a rice paper wrapper into the water; transfer to a clean work surface. Let stand several seconds to soften. Place one or two herb sprigs just below the center of the paper. Arrange some of the noodles, asparagus, beets, carrot, kohlrabi, and avocado over herbs.
- Fold bottom edge of wrapper over filling and tuck it under on other side while pulling the roll toward you. Fold in sides to seal in filling. Continue rolling tightly. Repeat with the remaining rice paper wrappers, herbs, and vegetables. Serve with dipping sauce.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.