- Ready In:
- Makes 6 pitas
Yes, you can have vegan sloppy Joes! This saucy, plant-strong recipe features bulgur as the star ingredient, and it all comes together in just 30 minutes. Sloppy Joes are a lot easier to eat stuffed into a pita than piled on a traditional bun. Look for store-bought barbecue sauce that’s oil-free, or make your own.
From The Forks Over Knives Plan
By Del Sroufe,
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾ cups oil-free barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 whole grain pita bread rounds
- In a small saucepan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Stir in bulgur. Return to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and let stand at least 15 minutes. Drain off any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion, bell pepper, and celery over medium 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding additional water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until softened.
- Stir in bulgur, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes.
- In a dry skillet heat pita rounds, one at a time, on both sides until warm. Cut in half crosswise and fill with bulgur mixture.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.