- Ready In:
- Makes 8 burgers
These delicious homemade veggie burgers are inspired by a classic Indian dish starring chickpeas in a spicy tomato gravy. Mango powder, also known as amchoor, is made from dried green mangoes and lends an earthy-tart flavor to Indian dishes. Look for it in Asian markets.
To make this recipe gluten-free, choose gluten-free burger buns or skip the buns altogether and wrap them in lettuce leaves.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 2 medium russet potatoes (1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1–2 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chana masala seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 teaspoon Date Paste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt, to taste
- 8 whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onions
- Sliced pickles
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prick the potatoes with a fork. Place potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 40 to 60 minutes or until tender. Let the potatoes cool until ready to handle. Peel and coarsely mash.
- Meanwhile, place onion in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add garbanzo beans; cover and pulse a few times to break up beans, leaving some intact. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the tomato paste, jalapeno, flaxseed, cilantro, chana masala seasoning, cumin seed, mango powder, Date Paste, ginger, garlic, and turmeric; add potato. Using gloved hands, mix well, seasoning with salt.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions, shape each portion into a patty and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake patties 20 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are firm and crisp. Cool 10 minutes. Turn patties over and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes more or until firm.
- Serve burgers in buns with lettuce, tomato and onion slices, pickles, ketchup, and/or mustard.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.