- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 bowls
- print/save recipe
A sweet and nourishing breakfast is as easy as 1-2-3 with this simple recipe. Kasha, or toasted buckwheat groats, have a texture that’s similar to risotto with a more pronounced flavor. Here, it’s paired with a warm cherry compote and nutty hemp hearts.
Note: Hemp hearts are naturally gluten-free, but cross-contamination can be an issue.
- 1½ cups buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen cherries
- 4 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- Cook kasha according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add cherries and ½ cup water to a medium saucepan. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until cherries are softened.
- Spoon groats into bowls. Top each serving with ⅓ cup cherry compote, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds.