- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
Chop up eggplant, zucchini, Roma tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion, throw them into the slow cooker with seasonings and tomato sauce, and come back in 5 hours for a mouthwatering stew. While it is not necessary, a quick stir halfway through cooking ensures the vegetables stay evenly moist. If you don’t have wheat berries or cannot eat gluten, serve the stew with another cooked whole grain, such as brown rice or quinoa, or enjoy it on its own.
By Nancy Macklin,
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cubed (6 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 8-oz. cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked wheat berries (2 cups dry)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker combine the first eight ingredients (through cayenne pepper).
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours (or high 2½ to 3 hours). Stir in half of the basil. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve with cooked wheat berries. Sprinkle with the remaining basil and serve with lemon wedges.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.