- 1 onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 5 ounces mushrooms, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 chipotle chilies (whole pods)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, divided
- Place the onion, rutabaga, parsnips, carrot, mushrooms, garlic, and oregano into a stockpot. Add ¼ cup of water and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, if needed, to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the pot.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili pods, nutritional yeast, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until the vegetables are well cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and half of the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the stew is creamy.
- Remove the chili pods before serving. Garnish with remaining parsley and serve hot.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.