- 1¼ cups unsweetened plant-based milk, divided
- 1 cup steamed and mashed potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sodium-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 10–12 asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 1½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 4 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make Bread Bowl, preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine 1 cup milk, mashed potatoes, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix gently to combine, but do not knead. Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten it into a large disk that is 1½ inch high and 7 inches in diameter. Press into the middle of the disk to create a well. Line this well with a piece of parchment paper, and fill it with pie weight or dry beans.
- Brush the surface of the loaf with the remaining ¼ cup milk, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until brown on top.
- Remove bread bowl from the oven and remove the weights. Use a serrated knife to cut wedge-shaped slices into the bread bowl for easier serving, but don’t cut all the way through to the bottom.
- To make Dip, place the asparagus and ¼ cup of water in a skillet; cook for 5 to 7 minutes until cooked but still crunchy; do not overcook. Cool the asparagus under cold running water, and chop into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a saucepan, mix together the milk, flour, vinegar, nutritional yeast, rosemary, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce thickens. Let the sauce cool down for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes to a coarse texture. Add hearts of palm and cooled sauce, then process into a creamy texture.
- Fold the asparagus into the dip, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon dip into bread bowl just before serving.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.