- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 3-4
- print/save recipe
Whenever I make these stuffed peppers my dinner guests rave about them! It's such a great way to use up leftover brown rice and it makes such a beautiful addition to any meal. You can also freeze these by slicing the peppers in half and storing them in air tight containers for reheating later on.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 6 large or 8 small bell peppers
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 small zucchini, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Herbamare or salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cut around stem of peppers like you would cut a jack-o-lantern top, retaining the top with stem. Remove seeds carefully and wash and dry thoroughly.
- Place peppers in an oven safe dish and arrange upright and put tops back on.
- Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large non stick pan, saute onions, zucchini and carrots in vegetable broth for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and tomato paste and coat thoroughly.
- Add parsley, dill, lemon juice, pepper and Herbamare (or salt) and stir to combine.
- When peppers are ready, take out of oven and fill with stuffing.
- Place tops back on peppers and bake for an extra 30-40 minutes until the peppers are soft.
- Serve with additional wedges of lemon and dill for garnish if desired.