- Ready In:
- Makes about 8 bruschetta
Sweet potatoes are endlessly versatile, and this inventive vegan bruschetta recipe offers a great new way to enjoy them. Simply slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into long, half-inch-thick slabs, and roast them in the oven to take the place of toasted bread. Top them with sliced cucumbers, fresh arugula, and a tangy mix of tomatoes and avocado, and you have a fresh and healthy take on a classic appetizer or snack! If Campari tomatoes—sometimes called “on-the-vine tomatoes” are available, use them. They are uniquely sweet and juicy.
By Ashley Madden,
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup seeded and diced fresh tomatoes, such as Camparis
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices flat on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are browned and the slices are easily pierced with a fork.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, combine the diced tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and let sit until the sweet potatoes are done.
- When the sweet potatoes are just about ready, chop the avocado and gently fold it into the tomato mixture.
- Top the sweet potato slices with sliced cucumber and baby arugula, and then spoon with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the avocado mixture on top.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.