- Ready In:
- Makes 2 dozen cookies
My childhood holiday seasons were always filled with Grandma Kenrick’s infamous “Christmas rocks.” These cookies looked a little like rocks, but they were sweet and chewy, and they had the perfect amount of spice. They were so delicious that this was the first recipe I modified to be free of eggs, processed sugar, and oil. This sugar-free fruit version is sweetened with apples, strawberries, and dates! With this healthy-tasty combo, these cookies are perfect to enjoy all year long.
From Plant-Based Katie
By Katie Mae,
- 3 cups rolled oats, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup applesauce, no added sugar
- 1¼ cup strawberry fruit spread, no added sugar
- 8 dates, pitted and diced
- ¾ cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix 1½ cups of the rolled oats, the baking powder, and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves) in a large bowl and set aside.
- In either a blender or food processor, combine the ground flaxseed, ¾ cup water, applesauce, and the remaining 1½ cups of rolled oats. Process until the batter has an even consistency. Then, add the strawberry jam, and blend for a few seconds to combine.
- Pour the fruit mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk until everything is evenly mixed. Then stir in the dates and pecans. The mixture should be slightly wet; don’t expect to shape the cookies into balls.
- Drop 12 spoonfuls of dough onto each baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes and then enjoy warm! Store any uneaten cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.