- Ready In:
- Makes about 1½ cups
Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast foods. It is quick to prepare and easily adaptable to my ever-changing moods—some days I want it with fruit, some days I want it plain, and sometimes I want a little bit of everything in it (that’s when I include all of the optional ingredients listed here!). This basic recipe is all you need to get started … add as much or as little of the extras as you like.
By Del Sroufe,
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh berries (optional)
- ½ ripe banana, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, chopped apples, chopped
- Apricots (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Combine the oats and 1½ cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon and salt. Top with the berries, banana, nuts, and/or dried fruit, as you like. If desired, pour a little maple syrup on top. Serve hot.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.