Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast foods. It is quick to prepare and easily adaptable to my ever-changing moods—some days I want it with fruit, some days I want it plain, and sometimes I want a little bit of everything in it (that’s when I include all of the optional ingredients listed here!). This basic recipe is all you need to get started … add as much or as little of the extras as you like.
1. Combine the oats and 1½ cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the cinnamon and salt. Top with the berries, banana, nuts, and/or dried fruit, as you like. If desired, pour a little maple syrup on top. Serve hot.
Photo by Keepin’ it Kind
Find this healthy oatmeal recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh berries (optional)
- ½ ripe banana, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, chopped apples, chopped
- Apricots (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)