Who would have guessed that cucumbers and seaweed could be such good friends? One grows up high on the vine, while the other is born on the mean streets of the ocean floor. This salad is refreshing: crunchy and light with a subtle, tangy punch. It makes the perfect side dish to complement heavier fare.
Recipe from Vegan 101.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk vinegar, lemon juice and zest, sugar, ginger, dried onion, sea salt, and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare the salad, soak wakame in warm water for 3 to 5 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and chop, if desired. Place in large serving bowl. Add cucumbers and carrots.
- Add dressing to vegetables and toss. Serve right away, garnished with additional sesame seeds.
- If you have a food processor, use the slicing blade attachment for the cucumbers and the shredding attachment for the carrots to make preparation go lightning fast.
- Replace the wakame with scallions if sea veggies aren’t your thing.
Photo by Kate Lewis.