- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 waffles
- print/save recipe
You’ve heard of breakfast for dinner, but how about breakfast for dessert? These crisp-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside sweet potato waffles are the perfect evening treat because they aren’t overly sugary and can be topped with anything you like. Here, we sprinkle each fluffy waffle with buttery pistachios, crunchy cacao nibs, and homemade aquafaba whipped cream to dial up the decadence factor. Orange juice and vanilla extract infuse the batter with lip-smacking flavor that pairs perfectly with the earthy notes of sweet potatoes, ensuring these waffles taste worlds apart from the standard frozen waffles you’d find at the supermarket.
Tip: If you have leftovers, reheat waffles in an air fryer at 400ºF for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp and heated through.
For more vegan waffle recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons packed pure cane brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1 recipe Aquafaba Whipped Cream
- 6 tablespoons chopped raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs (optional)
- In a food processor combine the first five ingredients (through salt). Cover and pulse until well mixed. Add the next five ingredients (through orange zest). Cover and pulse just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Transfer to a bowl. Let stand 15 minutes before cooking.
- Add batter to a preheated nonstick waffle maker. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake 4 minutes. When done, use a wooden chopstick or silicone spoon handle to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top hot waffles with Aquafaba Whipped Cream and sprinkle with chopped pistachios and cacao nibs (if using).