- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 bites
- print/save recipe
Big flavor can come in small packages, and such is the case with these Mexican chocolate treats. Medjool dates naturally have a deep, caramel-like flavor that pairs perfectly with rich maple syrup, warming cinnamon, and smoky chili powder to create single-serving desserts that are packed full of spicy sweetness. Lightly dusting each little ball with cocoa looks prettier on the plate, but you can roll them in the cocoa for a more intense chocolate experience. Perfect for a midday pick-me-up snack or sweet ending to a big meal.
Tip: You can make these treats gluten-free by using certified gluten-free rolled oats.
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- ⅓ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place dates in a medium bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain dates well. Place in a food processor with the next five ingredients (through cinnamon). Process until smooth.
- Drop date mixture by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Moisten hands with water and roll each bite into a ball. Dust the bites with cocoa. Place bites in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve or up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.