- Ready In:
- Makes 1 Potato
This recipe makes a great go-to meal for busy parents or people. It’s super-quick, super-easy, super-filling, and super-nutritious. All you need is a few minutes during your kid’s nap time, and—boom! You have a real meal to enjoy, and it didn’t come out of a box.
I recommend baking a bunch of potatoes in advance to have them handy for the rest of the week, or you can simply “bake” the potato in the microwave right beforehand. You can make your own black beans and salsa, use leftovers, or even just use store-bought brands in a pinch. I do, of course, recommend spending the extra five minutes to make salsa—but I promise I won’t judge you if you don’t.
By Andrea Duclos,
- 1 large baking potato
- 1½ teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ cup black beans, either canned or prepared as directed for Black Beans
- ¼ cup salsa of your choice
- ¼ to ½ avocado, cubed, sliced, or smashed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) if baking the potato (rather than microwaving it).
- Pierce the potato with a fork or knife a few times to allow the steam to escape. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or microwave for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Pierce the potato with a fork or knife to check if it is soft and cooked through.
- When the potato is done, slice it open, and sprinkle on the nutritional yeast, if using.
- Layer on the black beans, salsa, and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, if using, and garnish with cilantro and lime.
- Enjoy your yummy, healthy meal!
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.