This recipe makes a great go-to meal for busy parents or people. It’s super-quick, super-easy, super-filling, and super-nutritious. All you need is a few minutes during your kid’s nap time, and—boom! You have a real meal to enjoy, and it didn’t come out of a box.
I recommend baking a bunch of potatoes in advance to have them handy for the rest of the week, or you can simply “bake” the potato in the microwave right beforehand. You can make your own black beans and salsa, use leftovers, or even just use store-bought brands in a pinch. I do, of course, recommend spending the extra five minutes to make salsa—but I promise I won’t judge you if you don’t.
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) if baking the potato (rather than microwaving it).
2. Pierce the potato with a fork or knife a few times to allow the steam to escape. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or microwave for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Pierce the potato with a fork or knife to check if it is soft and cooked through.
3. When the potato is done, slice it open, and sprinkle on the nutritional yeast, if using.
4. Layer on the black beans, salsa, and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, if using, and garnish with cilantro and lime.
5. Enjoy your yummy, healthy meal!
- 1 large baking potato
- 1½ teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ cup black beans, either canned or prepared as directed for Black Beans
- ¼ cup salsa of your choice
- ¼ to ½ avocado, cubed, sliced, or smashed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious, plant-based meals the whole family will enjoy.