- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Serves 6
An easy, warm stew full of flavor is just what I crave when I get home from work on a cold, snowy night. This recipe keeps well, so it’s great to pack for healthy lunches or to enjoy as left-overs on those nights when you just don’t have time to cook dinner. Serve it over brown rice and it will seem like a new dish entirely!
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Wendy Solganik,
- 1 cup diced red or white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes (salt free if you prefer)
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups red-skinned potatoes cut into one inch squares
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 6-8 packed cups of kale, after it has been de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 15 ounce cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt (optional)
- Place a large soup/stock pot over a medium high flame and pour some of the liquid from one of the cans of the diced tomatoes into the pot to cover the base of the pot. When the tomato liquid starts to bubble, add the onion and stir. Lower heat a little. Press garlic into pot. Add red pepper flakes (to taste). Continue to cook and stir, lowering heat as the time passes, for a total of about 10 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add the rest of the first can of diced tomatoes and the entire second can into the pot. Bring heat up to medium-high again so that tomatoes begin to simmer. Place diced potatoes, oregano and parsley into the pot and stir. Cover pot, lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place all of the kale into the pot and cover the pot again. Let kale steam and shrink for 3 minutes. Uncover pot and stir in kale. Add Cannellini beans and stir. Taste and season with salt (or not). If potatoes are not as soft as you desire, continue to let simmer.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.