One sure sign you’re cooking something really tasty is when the aroma fills your house and makes it smell magical. This is one of those recipes. Onions, garlic, fresh ginger, curry powder, and garam masala (a smoky, peppery blend of spices often found in Indian cooking) become incredibly fragrant while cooking. By the time you finally get to serve yourself a bowl, your nose won’t be able to handle the teasing any longer! Serve this gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free dish on top of rice or quinoa, or alongside a piece of vegan chapati, naan, or crusty French bread.
Recipe adapted from But I Could Never Go Vegan!
1. Place the onion in a large, shallow saucepan, and sauté over medium heat until translucent (about 3 to 4 minutes), adding water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for about 1 minute. Add the jalapeño and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric (if using). Stir to fully combine and cook for about 2 minutes more, adding water as necessary.
2. Add the broth, sweet potatoes, and lentils. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover again, this time leaving the lid open a crack. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. When the lentils are tender and the liquid has decreased, add the yogurt, lime juice, and chard, and cook until the chard is just starting to wilt. Add the salt and the pepper to taste, stir to combine, and remove from the heat. Serve warm.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes That Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It’s Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner by Kristy Turner, 2014. Reprinted and adapted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1½ cups yellow lentils (toor dal), rinsed and picked through
- ¾ cup plain vegan yogurt
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, center stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon black salt (kala namak) or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious, plant-based meals the whole family will enjoy.