- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 cups dip
Scoop up this creamy vegan French onion dip with pita chips and veggies while you wait for the main course to come off the grill or out of the kitchen. Perfect for BBQs or birthday parties, this recipe delivers the same sweet, tangy flavor you love about onion dips without the unhealthy ingredients. Silken tofu forms the velvety base while fresh thyme, mustard, and red wine vinegar work in tandem with the caramelized onions to tantalize your taste buds. Apart from serving this dip as an appetizer, you could also use it as a sandwich or burger spread to up the umami. Store extras in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days—although we doubt there will be any leftovers after you take your first bite!
For more snackable vegan dips, check out these tasty ideas:
- Moutabal (Eggplant Dip)
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip
- Potato Snackers with Red Pepper Dip
- Green Goddess Dip
By Ellen Boeke,
- 2 6-inch whole wheat pita rounds
- 1½ cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 12-oz. package soft silken tofu
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Bottled hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Crudités: carrot and celery sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets, jicama chips, and bell pepper strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Split pita rounds in half horizontally; cut each half into six wedges (24 wedges total). Place pita wedges on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet cook onion and thyme, covered, over low 8 to 12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until well browned. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water, stirring to remove any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Remove and discard thyme. Transfer onion to a bowl; let cool.
- In a blender combine the next five ingredients (through salt). Cover and blend until creamy. Transfer to bowl with onion. Add chives. Stir to combine. Season with hot sauce (if using). Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve dip with pita chips and crudités.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.