- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
Myrna is Forks Over Knives founder and president Brian Wendel’s mom. Her crowd-pleasing marinara sauce requires minimal prep: You just throw all the ingredients into a pot, bring it all to a simmer, and, half an hour later, your thick, rich tomato sauce is ready. Use this oil-free marinara sauce in Spaghetti Marinara with Lentil “Meatballs,” in Polenta Lasagna with Kale and Lentils, on pizza, or with your favorite whole grain pasta.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 2¼ lb. ripe red tomatoes, seeded and chopped (5¼ cups)
- 1½ 28-oz. cans no-salt-added or low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 12 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 6 pitted dates, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a large pot combine the first five ingredients (through pepper). Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree tomato mixture into a smooth sauce. (If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer tomato mixture to a blender in batches. Cover and blend into a smooth sauce.) Stir in salt and basil. Transfer to an airtight container. Chill up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.