- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 11×7-inch lasagna
- print/save recipe
A tasty twist on lasagna, this vegan casserole recipe swaps out noodles for comforting Italian-seasoned polenta, layered with a saucy filling of lentils, kale, and bell pepper. Every forkful delivers a mouthwatering mix of the fluffy grains, tangy marinara, and tender veggies.
- 2 onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups oil-free low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 15-oz. can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups coarsely torn stemmed kale
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups dry polenta
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add 1 cup of the marinara, the lentils, kale, vinegar, tomato paste, and black pepper to skillet. Mix well and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring 8 cups water to boiling. Gradually whisk in polenta, baking soda, and salt. Reduce heat to low; cook about 20 minutes or until mixture is thick and creamy, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Evenly spread one-third of the polenta into a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover the saucepan so the remaining polenta doesn’t dry out. Spread half of the lentil mixture over the polenta in the baking dish. Top it with another one-third of the polenta. Repeat with the remaining lentil mixture and polenta, smoothing the polenta layer evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Just before serving, warm the remaining marinara and spread it over the top of the lasagna. Garnish with fresh basil.