- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 16 lumpia
The crispy Filipino spring rolls known as lumpia are traditionally stuffed with minced meat and vegetables, but this vegan version from Cleodia Martinez features a succulent filling of mushrooms, mashed sweet potato, and quinoa for extra texture. The veg-forward stuffing is infused with simple but flavorful seasonings, and the delicate wrappers get delightfully crispy in the air fryer sans oil. Make sure to look for egg-free lumpia wrappers in the frozen section of Asian markets, and while you’re there pick up some spiced vinegar to use as a dipping sauce. If you can’t find the vinegar, feel free to use reduced-sodium soy sauce, Sriracha, hoisin sauce, or any other tasty sauce that you think would pair well with crunchy, savory air-fried lumpia. Happy snacking!
For more vegan Filipino recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Vegan Ube Ice Cream
- Vegan Sisig
- Filipino Cucumber Salad (Ensaladang Pipino)
- Grilled Chinese Eggplant with Spiced Vinegar Sauce
By Cleodia Martinez,
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- ¼ cup fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Eight 8-inch frozen round lumpia wrappers, thawed
- Spiced vinegar, such as Datu Puti Spiced White Vinegar (optional)
- Place sweet potato in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Transfer sweet potato to a large bowl. Mash until creamy. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add the next five ingredients (through salt and pepper) to the mashed potato. Stir to combine filling.
- Cut lumpia wrappers in half to make 16 semicircles.
- Prepare an assembly station with the wrappers, a large cutting board, a bowl of water, and a large platter.
- Place flat edge of a wrapper semicircle near you on cutting board. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling near flat edge, leaving a ½-inch margin. Fold in sides and roll up like a burrito. Dip a finger into bowl of water and run along the seam to seal. Transfer to platter. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- Preheat an air fryer to 380°F. Place assembled lumpia in a single layer in airfryer basket. (You may need to work in batches.) Air-fry 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Serve lumpia with spicy vinegar for dipping (if using).
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.