- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 cups
This satisfying side dish will steal the show at your next cookout. When you’re shopping for ingredients, look for Chinese eggplants that have smooth, unblemished skin and feel heavy for their size: This means they’re perfectly ripe and ready to grill. Sizzle them over the flames (or on a grill pan) until you see delicious char marks start to form on the tender skin. While the eggplants roast, whip together the spiced vinegar sauce: Known as sukang sawsawan in the Philippines, it features white miso for subtle umami flavor and a red Thai chile pepper for heat. (Feel free to omit the chile if you aren’t a fan of spice.) Fresh cilantro creates a colorful garnish that will entice everyone around the table to have an extra helping.
For more excellent eggplant recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Fried Rice Waffles with Silken Braised Eggplant
- Sichuan Eggplant with Potatoes
- Thai Basil Eggplant
- Or take a look at our full collection of eggplant recipes
By Cleodia Martinez,
- 4 Chinese eggplants, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown pure cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 red Thai chile pepper, sliced, or a pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Grill eggplants cut sides down over medium 5 minutes or until tender when squeezed with tongs. Flip and grill 3 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the next seven ingredients (through chile, if using). Spoon some over grilled eggplants; serve the remainder for dipping. If you like, top with cilantro.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.