- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 cups
Ube, aka purple yams, are a popular ingredient in Filipino cuisine and make for an eye-catching treat that instantly brings a smile to your face. This frosty vegan ice cream blends the colorful spuds with maple syrup, vanilla, and plant-based milk to create a delicious earthy-sweet flavor that will leave you licking your fingers for every last drop. Feel free to include the optional frozen banana to create a creamier texture so your nice cream resembles halo-halo, another classic Filipino dessert with a custardy composition. Sprinkle each scoop with shredded coconut to get a taste of island life with each scrumptious bite.
For more nice cream recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Strawberry Nice Cream Sundaes
- Caramelized Pineapple Nice Cream
- Mexican Chocolate Nice Cream
- Or take a look at our full collection of nice cream recipes
By Cleodia Martinez,
- 2 medium ube (purple yams), peeled and quartered
- ½ of a banana, frozen (optional)
- ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 2 teaspoons shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- Place yams in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until very tender; drain. Spread evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- Transfer yams to a blender. Add frozen banana (if using), the plant milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Spoon nice cream into bowls and top with shredded coconut (if using).
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.