- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 10-inch pie
- print/save recipe
There’s a reason that purple is the color of royalty: This gorgeous, flavor-packed sweet potato pie is truly majestic. A zesty blueberry sauce dials up the vibrancy of this decadent dessert, but the deep purple hue comes primarily from purple sweet potatoes in the filling. Their creamy composition makes for a velvety smooth texture, and their subtle sweetness is enhanced with lime zest and a little sugar. The homemade pie crust, which features the warming flavors of walnuts and cinnamon, provides the perfect base for the no-bake filling. Simply chill it in the fridge, add the blueberry sauce, and give yourself the royal treatment by enjoying a big slice.
Recipe from Forks Over Knives: Flavor!
For more decadent vegan pies, check out these tasty ideas:
- 1 cup oat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown or golden flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ lb. purple sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar or pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (preferably from Key limes)
- 1½ tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon pure cane sugar or pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- For crust, in a food processor combine the first seven ingredients (through salt). Process until combined and nuts are ground. Add 2 tablespoons water; pulse to incorporate. The mixture will be crumbly, but it should bind when pinched between your fingers. If it doesn’t, add another 1 tablespoon water and pulse to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Use the bottom of a bowl or a ladle to press it evenly into bottom of pan. Bake 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- For filling, place the whole sweet potatoes in a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Place sweet potatoes under cold running water to cool. When cool enough to handle, slip off and discard the peels. Transfer sweet potatoes to a bowl, lightly mash them, then transfer to a food processor. Add milk, sugar, lime juice, and lime zest; process until smooth.
- Spoon filling over cooled crust and smooth with a spatula. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- For Blueberry Sauce, in a small saucepan combine blueberries, sugar, and 3 tablespoons water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes or until blueberries begin to break down and the liquid is syrupy. Remove from heat. Stir in lime zest.
- To serve, release sides of springform pan from pie. Top pie with Blueberry Sauce.