- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 9-inch pie
Beautifully tart and lusciously creamy, this vegan pie takes your taste buds on a tropical vacation. The tangy filling has a rich, custardy texture thanks to agar powder, a gelatin-like thickener made from seaweed. A lightly salted crust perfectly complements the fresh citrus that shines through in this show-stopping dessert. Garnish with fresh lime slices for extra presentation points!
- 1¼ cups spelt flour, whole wheat flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons almond butter or sunflower butter
- 1¾ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 1½ teaspoons agar powder
- ½ to ⅔ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup lime juice (from 4 to 6 regular limes or 10 to 12 Key limes)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Lime slices, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using your fingers, rub almond butter into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse sand. Stir in ½ to ⅔ cup very hot water until a smooth, firm dough forms.
- On a well-floured work surface, roll out dough to an 11-inch round. Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate; prick the bottom all over with a fork. Bake about 20 minutes or until crust is dry and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- For filling, measure milk in a measuring cup; remove 2 tablespoons milk to a small bowl. Add agar to the small bowl and stir to make a paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining milk over low until it begins to steam and is very close to boiling. (Do not boil.) Whisk in the agar mixture. Cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and cool 30 minutes.
- When the milk mixture is just warm to the touch, stir in maple syrup, lime juice, and zest. Pour the filling into the crust. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with lime slices.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.