- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 burgers
Become the burger boss at your next plant-based BBQ with these drool-worthy black bean veggie burgers. The nutrient-dense patties are seasoned with smoky paprika and salty soy sauce to create a rich, meaty flavor that’s enhanced by the texture of brown rice and panko breadcrumbs. The trick to grilling these burgers is patience: Be sure to wait the full 5 minutes before trying to flip them on the grill or they may stick and fall apart. Once the patties are ready, serve them on a whole wheat bun with all your favorite toppings. We recommend a generous slather of Homemade Ketchup and fresh veggies, but feel free to get creative and see what kind of wildly wholesome burger combinations you can create!
For more veggie burger recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Five-Ingredient Veggie Burger
- Sneaky Chickpea Burgers
- Pineapple Teriyaki Burgers
- Or take a look at our full collection of veggie burger recipes
By Ellen Boeke,
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- ¾ cup grated onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup whole wheat panko
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Toppers: sliced onion, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, pickles, Homemade Ketchup (or store-bought) and/or mustard
- In a large skillet cook the first five ingredients (through pepper) over medium until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash bean mixture; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together flaxseed meal and ⅓ cup water. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Stir tomato sauce and soy sauce into flaxseed mixture. Add bean mixture, brown rice, and panko. Stir to combine. Divide into eight portions. Form into ¾-inch-thick patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat 5 minutes. Carefully turn burgers and grill 5 minutes more or until heated through. Brush with water if needed to prevent sticking. Serve burgers on buns with desired toppers.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.