- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 burgers
These homemade veggie burgers are colorful, bright, and fresh, with a bit of heat to contrast the tangy carrot pickle and sweet pineapple. Sticky rice is best in this recipe because it will help the burgers hold together. Note that this recipe calls for cooked and cooled rice, so be sure to have that ready to go.
By Nancy Macklin,
- ½ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon pure cane sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb. portobello mushrooms, caps and stems coarsely chopped
- ⅔ cup sliced scallions (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup cooked and cooled short grain brown rice
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 fresh pineapple slices
- 6 leaves Bibb or red-leaf lettuce
- Make Carrot Pickle: In a bowl combine cucumber, carrot, radish, rice vinegar, sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet cook mushrooms over medium 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add scallions; cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until scallions have wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine the next six ingredients (through crushed red pepper). Reserve 1 tablespoon to use on pineapple.
- In a large food processor combine mushroom mixture, panko, rice, walnuts, flaxseed meal, and the remaining soy sauce mixture. Cover and pulse until chunky but not pureed. Season with salt and black pepper. Shape into six patties, pressing firmly. Chill at least 20 minutes.
- Brush pineapple slices with the reserved 1 tablespoon soy sauce mixture. Grill pineapple and burgers, covered, over medium 8 minutes, turning once.
- Place each burger on a lettuce leaf. Top with grilled pineapple and Carrot Pickle.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.