- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7-8 patties
For those of you that need to sneak veggies into your kids at every opportunity, this one’s for you! Our girls have no idea that these burgers have both carrots and red pepper … and I’ll keep it that way for a while.
From Plant-Powered 15
Find this Sneaky Chickpea Burgers recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Dreena Burton,
- 1 cup carrot, cut in discs
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 medium-large clove garlic
- 2 cans (14-ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (can substitute natural ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or rosemary leaves
- 1 cup rolled oats
- In a food processor, first add carrots, bell pepper, and garlic, pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients except rolled oats and process through. Stop processor a few times and scrape down, and continue to process until smooth. Then add rolled oats and pulse through.
- Remove bowl and place in fridge to chill mixture, for about a ½ hour. When ready to shape patties, take out scoops of mixture and form burgers in your hands.
- To cook, place patties on a non-stick skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Let cook on one side for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown. Then flip, and let cook for another 5-7 minutes on the other side.
- Alternatively, these patties can be baked at 400°F for about 20 minutes, flipping half way through, however I prefer the sear and texture that pan-cooking offers. Serve on buns, or in tortillas or pitas with fixings of choice!
Kiddo Note: Although most children do not like dijon mustard, garlic, or some fresh herbs, they will likely not notice these ingredients at all! Our daughters devour these burgers without ever noticing the seasonings (or the veggies)!
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.