- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 16 cups soup + 1 cup gremolata
Chopped fennel bulb lends a fresh, licorice-like flavor to this hearty winter squash soup. While it’s fine to only use one type of squash, the combination of delicata and butternut squash creates a succulent symphony of textures and adds subtle complexity to the overall flavor profile. Red bell pepper, tomatoes, and beans complement the earthy flavors of the squash, while whole wheat pasta adds heft to ensure this recipe is a crowd-pleaser. Piling everything into the Instant Pot makes the entire process (including cleanup) incredibly easy, so this is a great meal to make when you don’t have much energy. The pistachio-parsley gremolata is a scrumptious topper and can also be used on top of creamy white-saue pastas if you have leftovers.
For more easy Instant Pot recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Instant Pot Cabbage and Potato Soup with Pickled Veggies
- Vegan Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- Instant Pot Golden Root Vegetable Soup
- Harvest Vegetable Instant Pot Minestrone
By Ellen Boeke,
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups 1-inch cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1-lb. delicata squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 oz. dry whole wheat cavatappi, rotini, or bow-tie pasta
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Set a 6-quart electric multicooker to sauté setting. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add remaining broth and the next eight ingredients (through crushed red pepper).
- Lock lid in place; set pressure valve to sealing. Set cooker on high pressure to cook 8 minutes. Carefully quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions. Open lid carefully.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Stir cooked pasta, the beans, and salt into soup. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. For gremolata, stir together parsley, pistachios, and lemon zest. Top servings with gremolata.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.