- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cakes
A bright lemon glaze coats these clove-scented snack cakes to make them perfect for an afternoon nibble. The oat flour base provides a tender, chewy texture that’s a cross between a cookie and a muffin so you get the best of both worlds. Each bite-size cake is infused with lemon zest and lemon extract to double down on the refreshing citrus flavor while a touch of vanilla adds mellow warmth. Naturally sweetened with dates, applesauce, and maple syrup, these tasty treats are a healthy way to indulge your sweet tooth!
Tip: To soak dates, place them in a bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes and then drain.
For more healthy vegan dessert recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Chewy Apple-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- The Best Vegan Strawberries and Cream
- Pistachio-Orange Stuffed Dates
- Vegan Black Forest Brownies with Cherries
By Ellen Boeke,
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1¼ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Medjool dates, soaked
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Thin lemon slices and/or fresh raspberries, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottoms of twelve 2½-inch muffin cups with parchment paper, or use silicone muffin cups.
- Place oats in a food processor. Pulse well to achieve a flour-like consistency. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder, salt, and cloves.
- In the food processor combine milk, dates, applesauce, 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup, the flaxseed meal, lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon extract. Process until smooth. Add to oat mixture. Stir just until oats are moistened. Pour into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand in cups 10 minutes. Remove cakes from cups and place on a wire rack set over waxed paper.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup and the lemon juice. Brush glaze over warm cakes. If you like, top with lemon slices and/or fresh raspberries. Serve warm.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.