- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4½ cups
- print/save recipe
Give your morning routine some Southwestern flair with this bowl of savory oatmeal goodness. Hearty black beans, tender sweet potatoes, and warming spices transform traditional rolled oats into a creamy dish packed full of rich flavor and texture. Feel free to get creative with your fresh toppings (we love avocado and pico de gallo), or even spoon the oat mixture into corn tortillas as a delicious taco filler! Use certified gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
Tip: To cook sweet potatoes, in a medium saucepan combine cubed sweet potato and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until just fork-tender.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup cooked cubed sweet potato (see tip in recipe intro)
- ¾ cup cooked or no-salt-added canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ of an avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- ¼ cup fresh salsa (homemade or purchased)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime, cut into wedges
- Fresh jalapeño chile pepper slices (optional)
- In a medium saucepan bring vegetable broth, chili powder, and cumin to boiling. Stir in oats. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sweet potato and black beans; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon oats into bowls. Top with avocado, salsa, cilantro, lime wedges, and, if desired, jalapeño pepper slices.