- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 steaks + 3 cups mash + toppings
Sink your teeth into this hearty meal featuring tender celeriac steaks, a creamy sweet potato mash, and a homemade steak sauce that will leave you licking your fingers. Celeriac—the root of a celery plant—delivers a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and softens to a scrumptious meaty texture when cooked. Cannellini beans are mashed into the sweet potato mixture to produce an extra decadent (and nutrient-dense) base for the steaks, while sautéed mushrooms make for an earthy, umami-rich topping. In addition to all that deliciousness, the element that really takes this dish over the top is the savory-sweet sauce that comes together in just 10 minutes. Save any extras you don’t use to drizzle over roasted veggies, lentil meatloaf, or baked tempeh.
To learn how to make impressive steaks from cauliflower, squash, and more, check out our guide: How to Make Veggie Steaks. And for more hearty vegan meals, check out these tasty ideas:
- Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Creamed Spinach
- Greek-Style Grilled Eggplant-Steak Supper
- Polenta and Sweet Potato Mash with Mushroom Sauce
- Vegan Potato Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Greens
By Ellen Boeke,
- 2 celeriac roots (3 lb. total), peeled and cut into eight to ten 1-inch-thick slices (steaks)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, and/or oyster)
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- 6-oz. can no-salt- added tomato paste
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 slices crusty whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange steaks on baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the sherry vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Roast 45 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in an extra-large nonstick skillet, cook mushrooms over medium-high 8 minutes or until tender and lightly golden, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Smash 4 cloves of the garlic. In a medium saucepan combine sweet potatoes, broth, and smashed garlic. Bring to boiling over medium-high; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Add beans and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the remaining vinegar to the mixture. Mash beans and potatoes to desired texture, adding enough of the cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Stir in thyme. Season with salt and pepper. If you like, sprinkle with walnuts.
- For Veggie Steak Sauce, mince remaining garlic. In a small saucepan whisk together tomato paste, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, smoked paprika, ¼ cup water, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve celeriac steaks over sweet potato mash. Top with mushrooms and drizzle with Veggie Steak Sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with bread.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.