- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7 cups
In this mouthwatering dish, juicy cremini mushrooms and blistered cherry tomatoes meld into a hearty base of mashed sweet potato and polenta. Mash to your preference—on the creamy side, or leave it chunky. Look for ready-made tube-style polenta in the pasta aisle or near refrigerated fresh pastas; opt for the lowest-sodium version you can find, and go easy on the salt in the rest of the dish.
By Nancy Macklin,
- 3 cups cubed cooked sweet potatoes (peeled, if desired)
- 1 16- to 18-oz. tube polenta, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 8-oz. package fresh cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan combine sweet potatoes, polenta, onion powder, and 1 cup water. Cook over medium 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Mash to desired consistency. Gradually stir in spinach; cook until wilted. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep warm.
- For sauce, in a large skillet sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic over medium 5 minutes, adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in cherry tomatoes. Cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes more or until tomatoes soften and blister. In a small bowl stir together vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, and arrowroot powder. Add to vegetables and cook just until thickened. Season with pepper.
- Top polenta mixture with sauce. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.