- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 plates
These gyro-style mushroom steaks are a treat to eat when you’re craving a meaty meal. The tender portobello caps are brushed in red wine vinegar and Greek seasoning before being grilled to char-marked perfection. The barley salad features a medley of Mediterranean veggies, hearty butter beans, and a lemony dill dressing that will leave you licking your fingers. If you have leftovers, slice up the extra mushrooms and wrap everything into a whole wheat tortilla for a delicious grab-and-go lunch. Be sure to find a quality salt-free Greek seasoning, such as Cavender’s, to make this recipe really pop since the spice blend does double duty on the steaks and in the barley mixture.
Tip: To roast steaks instead of grilling them, arrange mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Brush and season as above. Roast at 400°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned, turning them once and brushing with additional water if needed.
For more veggie steak dinners, check out these tasty ideas:
- Sweet Potato Steaks with Grilled Salsa
- Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Creamed Spinach
- Celeriac Steak Asada with Black Bean Quinoa
- Butternut Squash Steak Supper
By Ellen Boeke,
- 1 cup dry hulled barley
- Four 4-inch portobello mushrooms (4 oz. per steak; 1 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons salt-free Greek seasoning
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added butter beans or gigante beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons chopped pitted Castelvetrano or Kalamata olives
- Lemon wedges
- In a medium saucepan bring 3 cups water to boiling. Add barley. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until tender; drain. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, for Veggie Steaks, remove the stems from portobello mushrooms. Remove gills, if desired. Brush mushroom steaks with the red wine vinegar and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the Greek seasoning along with the salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until tender and browned, turning once.
- In a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, dill, garlic, sugar, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning. Add barley, spinach, beans, tomatoes, shallots, and olives. Toss to combine. Serve on plates with Veggie Steaks and lemon wedges.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.