- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
- print/save recipe
This sunshiny soup is a celebration of summer produce. Zucchini, tomatoes, corn, green beans, and asparagus simmer together, creating a light yet flavorful broth. The grains add heartiness; for a light appetizer, you can leave them out.
- 2 onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup 1-inch pieces green beans
- 1 cup ½-inch-dice zucchini
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- ½ cup dry bulgur or quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet cook onions and garlic, covered, over medium-low 10 minutes. Add water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add 6 cups water and the next five ingredients (through bulgur). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until bulgur is cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook about 2 minutes more or until asparagus is just tender and bright green in color. Garnish with additional fresh basil.