- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 20 toasts
If you’ve been on the hunt for the perfect party appetizer, these delightful leek and butter bean toasts are guaranteed to wow a crowd. Crispy slices of a whole wheat baguette are smeared in sweet roasted garlic and creamy avocado before being piled high with a savory leek and butter bean mash. Lemon zest adds citrusy tang while Aleppo pepper turns up the heat, ensuring each mouthful is layered with complex flavors that play off each other perfectly. If you have more leek mixture than will fit on your pieces of toast, just serve it on the side to eat with a fork: Trust us, it’s that tasty!
For more vegan party appetizer recipes, check out these tasty ideas:
- Porcini-Lentil Vegan Pâté
- Cheesy Vegan Stuffed Spinach Bites
- Spiced-Couscous Cucumber Bites
- Summer Squash Roll-Ups
By Ellen Boeke,
- 2 large leeks, halved and sliced (3 cups)
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added butter beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 8-oz. whole grain baguette, sliced and toasted (20 slices)
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- Aleppo pepper or ground chipotle chile
- Lemon wedges
- In a large nonstick skillet combine leeks, garlic, and salt. Cover and cook over medium 5 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Remove garlic cloves from leeks.
- In a bowl stir together leeks, beans, parsley, and lemon zest.
- Smear garlic evenly on toasted bread. Smear avocado evenly over garlic. Top with bean mixture. Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and serve with lemon wedges.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.