- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 3 cups
- print/save recipe
When you’re ready to wow a crowd with a plant-based party appetizer, this vegan pâté is sure to do the trick. The key to its savory flavor lies in the porcini mushrooms, which have a rich, earthy flavor that needs little embellishment (not even added salt!). Look for dried porcinis online and in well-stocked supermarkets. Lentils, meanwhile, give the healthy pâté a meaty mouthfeel and spreadable texture, while shallots add tangy sweetness to complement the savory shrooms. Perfect for spreading on crackers or slices of a whole wheat baguette, this killer spread will soon become a staple of your vegan charcuterie boards.
For more party-worthy fare, check out these healthy vegan appetizers:
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup green or brown lentils
- ½ oz. dried porcini mushrooms, broken into pieces (½ cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine the first seven ingredients (through bay leaf) and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Drain lentil mixture, reserving the liquid; remove bay leaf. Place lentil mixture and pepper in a food processor; pulse until chopped. If needed, add reserved cooking liquid, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed for a smooth, spreadable consistency. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.