- Ready In:
- Makes 9 cups
Move over, cabbage: Apples make for a deliciously crunchy coleslaw in this fresh take on the classic lunch side. Featuring red grapes and a cashew-based sauce, this quick and easy dish has all the color and creaminess of traditional coleslaw with none of the cholesterol.Read more below
By Nancy Macklin,
- ⅓ cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1 12-oz. pack shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- 3 Granny Smith apples cut into thin strips or chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup seedless red grapes halved
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced (½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ cup unsweetened plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, submerge cashews in enough hot water to cover; let stand at least 15 minutes, and then drain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, apples, grapes, and celery.
- For dressing, in a small food processor or blender combine cashews, onion powder, and mustard. With processor running, slowly add milk until mixture is creamy and smooth. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
If you prefer, you can use red apples—just be sure to choose ones that have a crisp texture and tart taste. Enjoy this bright and tangy vegan slaw on its own or as a sandwich topping.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.