- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 9-inch cake
Add interest to the holiday dessert table with this warmly spiced homemade cake, which is topped with pears and pecans. The beautifully arranged pear slices make it a spectacular way to end a meal. Or serve it at a festive brunch.
See Ingredient IQ: Pears for help selecting pears plus more tips for incorporating the sweet, tender fruits in your cooking.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 2 medium pears
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup light molasses
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Core and cut 1 pear lengthwise into very thin slices. Peel and chop remaining pear.
- In a large bowl stir together the next seven ingredients (through cloves). In a medium bowl stir together the next four ingredients (through vanilla) and 2 Tbsp. hot water. Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until well combined. Stir in chopped pear. Spoon batter into a 9-inch round or square silicone baking pan, spreading evenly. Arrange pear slices over batter. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. If desired, remove cake from pan. Sprinkle cake lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm or cooled.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.