- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 9-inch cake + 1¼ cups compote
Applesauce and polenta form the base of this naturally sweet and perfectly moist vegan cake, which makes a gorgeous addition to any Thanksgiving or holiday spread. A homemade cherry compote with autumnal spices adds extra sweetness and a hint of tanginess. This recipe is gluten-free if you use gluten-free oat flour. The cake tastes best served warm: If you make it ahead of time, place it on an oven-going platter and warm in a 350°F oven about 20 minutes.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1½ cups frozen cherries
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole star anise (optional)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 medium unpeeled apples
- Make Cherry Compote: In a small saucepan combine cherries, 1 cup of the applesauce, the cinnamon, star anise (if using), cloves, and 1 cup water. mix well. Cook over medium-low about 20 minutes or until thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard star anise. Use a potato masher to crush cherries to a pulp. Cool and chill until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the remaining 1 cup applesauce, the polenta, plant milk, maple syrup, vinegar, and vanilla. Let stand 20 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together the next five ingredients (through baking soda).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Core apples and slice into ¼-inch-thick wedges. Arrange apple slices in rows or a spiral pattern in the cake pan, working from the center outward to completely cover the base of pan.
- Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture, stirring well. Pour batter over apples, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan at least 30 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm with Cherry Compote.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.