- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes eight 4-inch pancakes
These gluten-free pancakes combine nutty buckwheat flour with coconut flakes and vegan chocolate chips to create a good-for-you breakfast feast. Topped with fresh banana slices and extra maple syrup, these vegan pancakes pair perfectly with a cauliflower scramble or a roasted veggie hash.
Tip: For chocolate chips that are both vegan and gluten-free, look for the Enjoy Life brand, which specializes in allergy-free products.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1¼ cups buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup gluten-free vegan mini chocolate chips
- 1 large banana, sliced
- In a small saucepan combine flaxseed meal and ½ cup water. Heat over medium 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture appears stringy when it drips off a spoon. Immediately strain mixture into a glass measuring cup. Discard solids.
- In a large bowl whisk together the next five ingredients (through salt). In a medium bowl whisk together milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the flaxseed liquid. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine. (Batter will be thick.) Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-low. Spoon ⅓ cup batter per pancake onto griddle and spread gently. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until pancakes look slightly dry on top, are lightly browned on the bottom, and release easily from griddle. Flip pancakes; cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, wiping off griddle between batches. Serve pancakes hot with banana slices. If desired, drizzle with additional maple syrup.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.