- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 patties + 7 cups pilaf + 1 cup remoulade
In this filling meal, savory turnip and sweet potato croquettes are served over a chewy quinoa pilaf made with sweet raisins and crunchy almonds to deliver an irresistible savory-sweet combo. Crisped to golden-brown perfection without any oil, the veggie patties get an extra kick of umami flavor from dried porcini mushrooms. A creamy, smoky tofu remoulade is slathered on each croquette to kick up the heat (be sure to save leftovers of this delicious remoulade to use as a sandwich spread.) Pile everything onto butter lettuce leaves to add fancy flair and a refreshing crunch so all the flavors in this eclectic dish can shine through. Assembled in just 25 minutes, this crave-worthy meal is packed full of veggies, whole grains, and an unbelievably tasty sauce that will cement it as a go-to recipe for years to come.
For more hearty vegan salads, check out these tasty ideas:
- Lemony Spelt Salad with Roasted Broccolini
- Tempeh Nacho Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- Cilantro Ranch Bean Salad
- Hearty Kale Salad with Warm Citrus and Wheat Berries
By Ellen Boeke,
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and finely shredded (3 cups)
- 1 10-oz. sweet potato, peeled and finely shredded (2¼ cups)
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups cooked tricolor or red quinoa
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
- ½ of a 14-oz. package silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place mushrooms in a small bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let stand 10 minutes; drain. Finely chop mushrooms.
- In a large bowl combine flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons of water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Wrap turnips in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Repeat with sweet potato.
- Add mushrooms, turnips, sweet potato, scallions, ¾ of the minced garlic (about 3 tsp.), and salt to the flaxseed mixture; mix well. Form into eight ½-inch-thick patties using ½ cup mixture per patty.
- In an extra-large nonstick skillet cook patties over medium 4 to 6 minutes or until golden and heated through, turning once.
- For Tofu Remoulade, in a blender or food processor combine tofu, lemon juice, mustard, horseradish, paprika, hot pepper sauce, and the remaining garlic. Cover and blend until smooth. Stir in fresh parsley.
- In a medium bowl stir together quinoa, almonds, and raisins. Arrange lettuce and quinoa on plates. Top with patties. Spread Tofu Remoulade on patties.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.