- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7 cups
- print/save recipe
Not sure what to do with those extra cans of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) in your pantry? This quick and healthy meal transforms them into a fragrant curry with spinach and red bell pepper. Green curry paste infuses the dish with Thai flair, while coconut milk adds luscious creaminess, which a bed of brown rice soaks up. But the best part of this recipe might be the garnishes: Sprinkle everything with freshly squeezed lime juice, cilantro, scallions, cashews, sliced Thai chiles, or any other toppings that delight your taste buds!
For more inspiration, check out our Top 21 Healthy Chickpea Recipes.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and/or toasted cashews
- In a large saucepan cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in coconut milk, curry paste, and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; add garbanzo beans. Return to boiling; stir in spinach and cilantro just until spinach has wilted. Serve over rice. Top with desired garnishes.