- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 7 cups
- print/save recipe
Blueberries bring refreshing bursts of sweetness to this colorful bowl. Farro, an ancient grain and a cousin of modern wheat berries, makes a satisfying base. For a gluten-free version, you can use sorghum in place of farro.
- ½ cup dry farro
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and shaved
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine farro and 1½ cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until farro is just tender. Drain any excess water. Transfer farro to a large bowl; let cool.
- To cooled farro, add the next seven ingredients (through basil). Add vinegar and season with salt and black pepper; toss to combine. If desired, garnish with pine nuts.